Monday, June 8, 2009

Up close with Darfur crisis

This interview took place shortly after a gunshot killed the eight year old boy, Jaohann Majanu. His mother, Bozjena, agreed to discuss the trials her family has faced since the civil war broke out in Darfur and how it has torn their world apart.

Q: What struggles have you faced in your everyday life?

A: My family and I struggled everday just to survive. We never knew when the next shooting or bomb raid could go on. Just walking out of our home was dangerous. I suffered greatly with strife and knowing that I could not provide for my child. I have already lost so much. I don't know what I would do if I lost my little girl. (she said in a chilled voice).

Q: What was your first reaction when you heard the news about your husband's death?

A: I wept. My children couldn't pull me out of the despair. (she says with tears in her eyes) I knew that without him, I would barely be able to survive.

Q: Were you more concerned now about you and your daughter when you knew that there aren't any men left in the family?

A: I did feel less safe, but I knew that the women of Darfur are always in a constant worry about being raped, no matter the men that might be around.

Q: Now that you and you're daughter have escaped the terrors of Darfur, how do you think it will effect your life from now on?

A: I know that my daughter and I will be eternally grateful for our lives being spared and continue to pray for the ones we lost. Me and my daughter will be supporting aid for Darfur and pray that peace will soon be more than just a word for our beloved homeland.

No comments:

Post a Comment